The Freemasons Society, which originated in the medieval craft guilds of the stone masons, built their first Lodge (No 355) in County Sligo in December 1760, Though it wasn’t until 1856 that a purpose built meeting place, or lodge, was proposed in Sligo Town.
39 years later in 1895, after countless fund-raising events and bazaars, The Masonic Lodge (co-ordinates 54.27260 -8.46765) was built at the cost of £1,525 on The Mall in Sligo Town.
The Masonic Lodge was designed by the architect Mr Henry Seaver from Belfast and was built by Sligoman Mr George Kerr, described as being the Old English style, with the outer walls being faced with red perforated bricks, the upper storey being roughcast and the roofing being of green slates (the green slates are no longer on the building).
There is a lovely tower with bell shaped eaves rising over the main entrance to the building, which consisted internally of the principal lodge room (40ft X 20ft) a dining hall (40ft X 20ft) and a number of smaller rooms which were used for craft purposes, joined onto the two large rooms.
Successive members of the Dodd family lived in The Masonic Lodge as caretakers from the opening of the building in 1895 until 1951.
Comments are closed.