The Methodist Chapel (co-ordinates 54.27225 -8.47760), dating from 1832, is situated opposite the 12 screen Gaiety Cineplex in Wine Street, and is officially known as “The Wesley Chapel“.
Methodism is believed to have been introduced to the Sligo area in 1757 by a Methodist preacher from Castlebar who was invited to preach in a house in Sligo Town. This resulted in the opening of a Methodist Meeting House, which was a small building with a thatched roof situated in Bridge Street in 1775.
Larger premises were built for the Methodists in 1802. These premises served the society until 1832, when the present day Methodist Chapel was built here in Wine Street at a cost of £800.
The Methodists founder “John Wesley” visited Sligo Town 14 times between 1758 to 1789.
Comments are closed.