The Allied Irish Bank building on Stephen Street in Sligo Town, (co-ordinates 54.27260 -8.47162), is a fine example of a Renaissance style building.
The present day bank building was erected in 1877, standing on the site of the former Provincial Bank, which was itself the first bank to open in Sligo Town in 1826.
The Provincial Bank became the Allied Irish Bank in the wholesale merger of Irish Banks in the early 1970’s.
This fine detached corner-sited three-storey stone building was designed by T. M. Deane, is finished with elaborately carved Mountcharles sandstone, is a well proportioned, almost square building with a styling vaguely Elizabethan in inspiration.
The architect of this fine building was one of Thomas Manly Deane‘s earlier works, who also designed such well-known buildings as the the National Museum, Kildare St, the Science ∧ Art Museum, Kildare Street and Roscommmon Courthouse all in 1883, the Church of Ireland Training College, Kildare St, Dublin in 1886 and the Queen Victoria Statue at Leinster House, Dublin in 1908.