The main post office in Sligo Town is situated at the top of O’Connell Street, Sligo Town’s main shopping street.
The Post Office (co-ordinates 54.27230 -8.47560) is a modest two storey red-brick building built in 1901, until a decade or so ago, this building also housed Sligo Town’s mail sorting facilities.
The Post Office stands on the site formerly known as Fish Corner, home to Sligo‘s fishmongers until 1885 when an official fish market was built here.
The fish market closed down in 1901 when the present day Post Office was built.
The tall thin building which can be seen a few yards down the side road to the right of the Post Office, was the manual Telephone Exchange, another casualty of modern times, and to its right is the main entrance to the plush new Glasshouse Hotel.
Many years ago, the statue of Mr P.A. McHugh, the Nationalist owner of ‘The Sligo Champion‘ newspaper stood in the middle of the road here, the statue now stands outside Sligo Town Hall.
Comments are closed.