The Model Arts and Niland Centre (co-ordinates 54.27359 -8.46916) is housed in an 1862 building designed and built by the architects James Owen and McCullough Mulvin.
Formerly known as “The Model School“, the Model Arts and Niland Centre is the principal arts and cultural centre for the North West of Ireland.
As with other Model School‘s established in the latter part of the 19th century, it is an institution established to provide instruction for children of different denominations, in the principle of combined secular and separate religious instruction.
This same principle continued on these lands until recent years in The Sligo School Project which was housed in pre-fabricated buildings situated to the rear of The Model School, before being moved some years ago to new premises across the Garavogue River, in an empty former school building, beside the old Sligo Gaol (or Jail).
In recent years The Model School was renamed the Model Arts Centre, then after a tastefully carried out refurbishment, became The Niland Centre, housing a permanent exhibition of Jack B Yeats paintings, as well as housing touring exhibitions and featuring a wide range of cultural activities, including literary and musical festivals.