The Yeats Memorial Building (co-ordinates 54.27220 -8.474950) is situated beside Hyde Bridge, named after the first president of The Republic of Ireland, Dr Douglas Hyde, (1860-1949).
The Yeats Memorial Building was erected by the Belfast Banking Company in 1895, which went on to become part of the Allied Irish Bank group in 1970, with the building being donated to The Yeats Society in 1973.
The Yeats Memorial Building is the headquarters of the Yeats Society which was established here in 1958 to preserve the artistic heritage of the Yeats family.
William Butler Yeats is recognised the world over as one of the greatest poets of the English language, a prominence which was acknowledged by his confirmation as Nobel Prize Winner for literature in 1923.
Yeats works have always been closely associated with County Sligo, the culture and landscape of which influenced him greatly during his formative years.
This fine two-and-a-half-storey red-brick building was designed as the Royal Bank by Vincent Craig, brother of the first Prime Minister of Northern Ireland, Lord Craigavon.
Built in 1899, The Yeats Memorial Building overlooks the Garavogue River, lending itself perfectly to the host of cultural and informative services provided by The Yeats Society. which is housed here.
Hyde Bridge, built by the local architect and engineer Sir John Benson, and the County Surveyor of Sligo, Noblett St. Leger, this fine five arched, cut limestone, main road bridge links the east and the west sides of Sligo Town.
Built between 1848 and 1853, the bridge was originally called Victoria Bridge, dedicated to Queen Victoria, but has since been re-named Hyde Bridge after Ireland‘s first President, Dr Douglas Hyde.
Comments are closed.